kyrene: (Maenad with thyrsos)
From http://alostrael.livejournal.com/357444.html and many posts on my friends list, and no, I will not LJ cut it.

Call it a tribute to the goddesses or what-have-you:


I'm really tired of making this post.

For all y'all who thought, "Well, I'll do something when it becomes official," it has become official, and it is time to get off your fucking ass:

The Bush administration officially proposes conscience rule for doctors who don't want to do their fucking jobs.

This does not just apply to doctors -- surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc. -- but to anyone involved. Nurses, equipment wranglers, the dude who monitors the machine that goes "bing!", anyone. Anyone could walk away at any time from a woman who is simply trying to live her life the way she thinks most wise.

Clinics that receive government funds would have to abide by this rule, and could not fire someone for not doing their job, even if they are the only person in a hundred miles who could do it. Even if it is the only abortion-providing facility in the state.

There are no provisions for assisting women who have been denied -- none. No statement that a doctor must help the woman find another doctor who will help her. No offers to help with transportation, should a woman need to go to a different city to get help. Nothing. We get nothing. We are their patients and we are not only being put behind our employees' consciences, we are being left with nothing as recourse.

"Nothing in the new regulation in any way changes a patient's right to any legal procedure," [Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt] said, noting that a patient could go to another provider.

No, you fucking idiot, it doesn't change my right to do it, but it is going to mean that thousands upon thousands of women are not going to be able to do it.

You don't have to make a thing illegal to make it impossible to fucking get, and that is the effect this is going to have. That should scare the shit out of every single one of you who values their ability to do as they wish with their bodies.

This is the rule. Not the draft, the actual rule that will go into effect if we do not act to stop it and act now.

The rule goes into effect in 30 days.

We have one month to stop this.

Do something.

Planned Parenthood is fighting this as hard as they can. Make a donation here.

Write to your legislator, telling them you oppose the rule, and asking them to fight it.
kyrene: (Default)
You're so vain!

You probably think this post is about you, you're so vaaiiinnn....

You probably think this post is about you, don't you, don't you....

Gah.

Jul. 31st, 2008 10:57 am
kyrene: (Default)
How did I manage to get sucked into the whole "is magick Hellenic" conversations yet again?

Is it because tonight is the dark moon? Because we have an eclipse soon? Because clearly I'm not being entertained enough on other emailing lists? I can has a more amusing Intarwebs, y/y?

Maybe it's the mystique, the sheer art of it all, the je ne sais quoi, the whole question of whether or not magick is de rigeur in Hellenismos or perhaps it's that whole "Omgs! I don't want to be lumped in with the neo-pagans/Wiccans/witches/uncool-kids-who-sit-in-the-front-of-the-bus!!!!!111eleventy-one" crap which I find to be so embarrassingly passé.

I'd make paper airplanes loaded with spitballs and fire them away at these people, but I really don't want to get after-school detention.



So, um, about those um, Greek gods. Um, yeah. They're like wicked cool an' stuff. Yeah.
kyrene: (Default)
You're so vain,
You probably think this post is about you,
You're so vain,
You probably think this post is about you, don't you, don't you?

PSA

Mar. 14th, 2007 09:12 am
kyrene: (Default)
If my LJ offends you so much, why do you read it?

If my opinions bother you so much, may I ask why they matter so much to you? Do they really hold that much weight in your worldview?

If you dislike me as much as you claim, then my opinions wouldn't be worth monkey dung.

It's very simple: if you don't like what I say, stop reading. I'm obviously not going to stop stating my opinion anytime soon, and so maybe it's best that you find a better hobby. Perhaps take up knitting or whatever.

It's worth noting that I have never given a damn what people think of me, nor do I plan to start anytime soon. I especially don't give a damn of people's opinions when the people in question do not have my respect.

Stuff maybe you should meditate on, perhaps.

Note: this obviously doesn't apply to anyone on my friends list.
kyrene: (Default)
*snerk*

I'm apparently an atheist, according to someone on the lists, for believing that the gods are above petty crap like raping mortals and cheating on their spouses.

Since when did people start taking the myths so seriously and literally that they actually believe this sort of crap? And believe that people are atheists who have a different take on what and who the gods are?

My respect for certain aspects of the Hellenic community decreases more and more with each time I have one of these crazy conversations on the lists.
kyrene: (Default)
Pagans, you aren't actually practicing your religion unless you butcher an animal and wipe its blood all over everything

I guess the Pythagoreans and Orphics weren't really Hellenists. Maybe they were "paganism lite."

I love Classicists. Don't they read Plato anymore? Or is that, like, so passé?
kyrene: (Maenad with thyrsos)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elias J. Theodoracopoulos <e.theodorakopoulos@att.net>
Date: Jan 26, 2007 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [CLASSICS-L] Zeus Worshippers Seek Access to 1,800-Year-Old Temple in Greece
To: CLASSICS-L@lsv.uky.edu


There are still some scattered remnants here and there. Those that involve communal animal sacrifice are mostly on Samos (bulls killed on March 25, I recall, with Orthodox priests blessing the event). Individual animal sacrifice is still practised in the killing of cocks (roosters to the refined) at the foundation of private houses.

EJTh


-------------- Original message from Mark F Davidson < MarkFDavidson@GMAIL.COM>: --------------


> James M. Pfundstein wrote:
>
> >> Until these eager neo-pagans get real and slaughter a bull or two
> >> in central Athens, I shan't worry that they have much to do with
> >> ancient religion at all. At the moment, this is paganism lite.
> >
> >This doesn't seem like a reasonable argument. Ancient Hebrew religion
> >also involved animal sacrifice, but modern Judaism does not. Medieval
> >Catholicism involved the rather more brutal practice of murdering
> >human beings for their religious beliefs (a practice which had a
> >continuous tradition with ancient religious practice) but modern
> >Catholicism does not. And there were opponents to animal sacrifice in > >the ancient world: I seem to remember that Theophrastus, quoted in
> >Porphyry, was one. Then you have Empedocles, Pythagoras etc. Ancient
> >Greek religion was not as univocal on this subject as MB makes out.
>
> It seems to me that the difference is that there is no continuous living
> tradition in the case of the ancient Greek religion. Judaism and
> Christianity have continuous traditions which evolved over time. (And
> Judaism was forced to give up animal sacrifice when the Temple was destroyed.)
>
> There were no doubt isolated individuals who opposed animal sacrifice, but
> the overwhelming mainstream of classical Greek religion practised animal
> sacrifice until it was suppressed by Christianity.
>
> I suppose that neo-pagans are not obliged to revive ancient religion in the
> same form as it once existed (to whatever extent we even know all the
> detai! ls), bu t then they are making up a new religion which adopts some
> elements of the classical religion, and the connection is tenuous, which is
> Mary Beard's point.
>
> Despite many changes, the connection between ancient and modern Judaism, and
> between ancient and modern Christianity, is not tenuous because they have
> always had continuous living traditions.
>
> Do these neo-pagans really believe in Zeus with the same conviction that
> that Christians believe in Jesus? This is perhaps not a fair comparison,
> because many educated or intellectual people in the ancient world didn't
> take the gods that seriously themselves. So let's rather ask, do these
> neo-pagans believe in Zeus with the same conviction that modern Hindus
> believe in the Hindu deities? Again I doubt it. This is more of a made-up
> intellectual and emotional game rather than a real religion, because it has
&! gt; no grounding in real life and culture.
>
> Perhaps if they continue practising it, and bring up their children in
> neo-pagan communities, then in a few generations it will become a real
> religion, in an analogous way to Hebrew being revived as a living language.
> It's certainly not there yet. And in my opinion it's not likely to ever get
> there, because the belief is not deep enough to stick.
>
> Mark

Profile

kyrene: (Default)
Kyrene

September 2010

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
26 27282930  

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags