It's funny. Most of people who run around screaming negative stuff about HI actually have NO clue what we're about.
- They don't know we have ordained priests in the faith who perform weddings and religious ceremonies
- They don't know we have local groups who gather together for ceremonies, libations, and various events
- They have no clue that we do charitable acts in the name of the gods
- They have no idea that we have various orders devoted to specific gods, their worship, and mystical and spiritual practices surrounding them
- They have zero clue that we have outreach programs running and in the works
- They don't know that we engage in fitness programs keeping arete in mind (Olympics, anyone?)
- They have no idea that we're recognized by state and federal governments as a legitimate religious organization.
In short...they don't really know anything. :)
But that's okay. HI and Spira are the only Hellenic orgs I respect these days. The rest I feel either indifference for, or contempt.
I just don't have the time to spend arguing on the Internet and acting as PR in the Hellenic community for Everyone Who Actually Does Shit. In truth, I'm too busy Doing Shit.
What a concept. :)
Consider this post to be the only time I'll comment on this, and I'll just link to it whenever someone else decides to leave anonymous posts in my LJ whining about this or that. I'll even add it to memories.